I’m late to the party on this, but when I saw a friend’s scrappy and fun blanket made with this technique (also called c2c by the cool kids), I knew it had to be the one I’d use for the blanket I wanted to make for the tack room, for which I’d bought two sets of ten skeins in different colors of the same yarn (Brava Stripe), along with a LOT of charcoal heather for an accent. Hey, the yarn packet is on sale now!
Apparently, this technique, corner-to-corner crochet, is quite the rage among crocheters who talk to each other, a group of which I am not a member. So, I went to the internet and looked up how to do it. Here’s where I admit that I don’t learn very well with videos, so I looked and looked for written instructions. I finally found some, but of course it was on one of those extra irritating pages where you have to read through paragraph upon paragraph of blah blah blah interrupted by repetition of the same irrelevant advertisement before you finally arrive at what you went to the page for. The world wide web disappoints me these days. (Yes, this blog has ads, but I don’t hide the useful content, at least.)
The instructions I found are much less hard to read on the computer screen than on the phone, though, and this Sarah Maker page has fewer ads and more clear content than a couple of the other ones I looked at. So, if you wanna know how I did it, go there.
Anyway, off I went. Once I got the idea, the stripes went quickly, and I’ve really been enjoying this project. It’s easy to do while listening to lectures, riding in the car, watching television, and such.
I’m though one repeat of the colors, and it’s as wide as I want it to be, so I stopped making a giant triangle, which is how this technique starts, and I’m now making one side wider and one side shorter, which creates a rectangle shape. When I’m finished with another repeat of all the colors, I’ll start decreasing on both sides, to close up the rectangle, and boom. I’ll have a blanket made of diagonal stripes.
It should be great for chilly days in the tack room and should be okay in there, because it’s 100% acrylic, which is not delicious to moths or mice. I hope. Anyhow, I hope you enjoyed this project preview!