Oh geez I’m answering another prompt. But when I read this question, this film studies minor had quick answers. I’ll do television in another post.
I’ll just make a list of the top ten-ish very few films I have watched multiple times. Why few? I am not sure. I just prefer to watch them once and move on. Exceptions to follow.
- Mary Poppins: this was my first movie. And my first album. It still charms me. Julie Andrews had such a nice vocal range.
- A Clockwork Orange: the only violent film I can stand to re-watch. So artistic. So Malcolm McDowell as a youth. Mmm. So Stanley Kubrick.
- Young Frankenstein: I will watch this any time I’m offered. And I’ll laugh my ass off. So much to love.
- Most other Mel Brooks movies. I share his sense of humor. I grew up around a lot of Jews, so I love all the Yiddish.
- Zoolander: another one that never ceases to crack me up. Also my horse has a lot in common with Zoolander. Only can turn in one direction.
- Best of Show: dog humor. Improv. All my favorite actors in one movie.
- Star Wars — all of them, even the dumb ones. I love Luke.
- American Gigolo: naked Richard Gere. Need I say more? Also the soundtrack thumpa-thumping its disco way through a very enigmatic plot. I have no idea what was going on.
- Casablanca: because it makes me think of Anita and the good parts of high school.
- Rashomon: because it reminds me of the good parts of college. And because I can always use a reminder that reality is relative. Plus. Hilarious Japanese samurai talk.